Saturday, October 12, 2013

Crossfit for the Cure



              Today was a long eventful and fun day at Crossfit Grand Strand.  We started with a seminar at 9am and had Scott Panchik the world’s 4th fittest man two years in a row come in to talk.  If you don't know him he is the one in the image below.  Yes that is 315lbs that he just power cleaned, what a BEAST!  While there he went over his experiences and how he found Crossfit.  He also talked about what goes on inside the Crossfit Games.  He also came around and critiqued our form on various lifts.  It was pretty surreal that he was there engaging and giving me tips on my form.  This was a great start to the day.  We had about an hour and half break before the Crossfit for the Cure challenge.  I hung around and ate some jerky, nuts, and dried fruit.


               
             The two workouts were Fran and Diane.  The gym got really crowded there was probably 50 to 60 people in here and the majority of them were competing.  The atmosphere was electric with enthusiasm and bright pink outfits.  The guy wearing a pink tutu definitely wins best dressed.  There are two workouts going on at once and about three heats for each.  This wasn't considered a competition since it’s for a much bigger cause but you could tell people were still really anxious to post a good time.  My name gets called in heat 3 and so far people have been giving tremendous effort.  There were a lot of PRs going on a few times around 5 and 6 minute range.  I was up and ready to go.  I had nerves like I use to get before a basketball game excited but yet nervous.  I get through the first 21 thrusters relatively easy.  I’m the second one onto the pull-up bar and I go unbroken separating myself from the rest.  Then I got through 12 reps on my set of 15 and put the bar down.  Took a breath and picked it up and finished.  The crowd was very motivating and Daryl was right next to me encouraging me to get through my thrusters.  I think he was half the reason I PR’d on this workout.  Now I get to the pull-up bar bent over and really feeling it.  I jump up get a quick 10 hop down.  I’m back up finish my final 5.  Final round it takes every ounce of strength and fight in me to get through the final 9 thrusters.  I rush over to the pull-up bar and get through the last 9 reps and see a time of 4:01.  Best time so far, not bad 44 seconds faster than my time less than a week ago.  I collapsed and my heads spinning and I’m just trying to get myself together. The next round one of the contestants put up an impressive 3:30 time squashing my time.  I continually get worse and eventually make my way outside to puke  I had a pounding migraine and couldn’t do the second workout and left a little early.    


No comments:

Post a Comment